Suggested Interview Questions
FORMER RESEARCH BIOLOGIST TEACHES LIFE LESSONS
THROUGH THE EYES OF A DOG
CHANDLER, AZ (Fall 2009) - Join Little Skiff, a Shetland sheepdog, on his journey from the cold and snow of Alaska to the heat and sun of the Arizona desert. Be with him as he battles with a bout of Valley Fever, a respiratory disease prevalent in the Southwest.
First-time author Dany Pierard-Deviche, originally from Belgium, introduces young readers to Skiff, a loveable Sheltie full of a sense of adventure and love for his young owners. Through her tales, as told from Skiff's point of view, Pierard-Deviche hopes to provide life lessons that will be of benefit to others and that will teach children how to stay strong and confident in the face of adversity and change. And Pierard-Deviche knows of what she writes, as she is the owner of the real-life Skiff and has shared in all of his adventures and life events, including moving from Fairbanks, Alaska, to Phoenix, Ariz.
Young children - and even most adults - will be able to relate to Little Skiff's fear of moving to a new place, as well as his struggle to come to grips with his own illness. Children who have had to move to a new school or new town will surely benefit from Little Skiff's Moving Adventures. They will find strength in Skiff's courage and find comfort in his ability to make new friends. And those here in Arizona who have had to cope with Valley Fever will find strength and encouragement in Skiff's own experience with the disease. Skiff's sense of wonderment and curiosity is also sure to appeal to young readers.
As a former research biologist, Pierard-Deviche hopes to trigger reflection in children and inspire them to conduct their own research on things that interest them. The Little Skiff books are the perfect blend of fiction and nonfiction, teaching and entertaining at the same time.
Though he is a dog, Skiff is a great role model, and how he copes with life's trials and tribulations are sure to bring comfort and hope to kids in similar situations.
Little Skiff's Moving Adventures (ISBN: 978-1-58985-116-0 ) and Little Skiff Copes With Valley Fever (ISBN: 978-1-58985-115-3) are Little Five Star books, a division of Five Star Publications, Inc. Both retail for $15.95 and can soon be purchased through BarnesandNoble.com, Borders.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Target.com, indiebound.org and www.FiveStarPublications.com. Visit www.LittleSkiffBooks.com for more information.
Suggested Interview Questions
- What inspired you to write these stories?
- What message would you most like readers to take away from the Little Skiff books?
- Have you always wanted to write fiction/children's literature?
- Briefly describe the process that went into researching and writing Little Skiff's Moving Adventures and Little Skiff Copes With Valley Fever.
- You've lived in many very different places throughout your life. Which do you like best and why?
- Are the children characters in these books modeled after your own children?
- What kind of challenges, if any, did you come across in writing this book?
- Do you plan on writing any more books? If so, what are you planning on writing about? Are there more Skiff books on the horizon?
- You did all of the illustrations for the Little Skiff books. What else do you enjoy drawing/painting?
- What are some of your other interests?