Authors: Bryan and Tom Lambke
Publisher: Five Star Publications, Inc.
Phone: 480-940-8182 / Toll-free 866-471-0777 / Fax 480-940-8787
Websites: www.DownSyndromeBook.com and www.IJustAmBook.com
Price: $15.95 / Hard cover/Non-fiction
Size: 9"x6" / 112 pages
WHAT IS THIS BOOK ABOUT?
Those fortunate enough to meet people with Down syndrome soon realize what wonderful, loving individuals they are. Once they get to know them even better, they also see that those with Down syndrome share many of the same dreams and emotions as everyone else. Too many of us, however, don't afford ourselves that opportunity, choosing instead to distance ourselves from folks with Down syndrome, because they seem so "different."
Bryan Lambke is working to change that.
In his new book, I Just Am, Bryan-a young man with Down syndrome-invites readers into his world where he lets them know what his life is like, and just how similar it is to theirs. "I have a disability," says Bryan. "It is not my fault. I just am."
A gold medal winner in the International Special Olympics, Bryan loves his mom and dad and his sister, holds down two jobs, loves sports, and has girlfriends. He invites readers to look at his life and at theirs. Then he asks, "What is normal?"
WHAT MAKES THIS BOOK UNIQUE?
10 SUGGESTED INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- The author's perspective. These are Bryan's thoughts, crafted into words with the help of his father, Tom.
- Also important for readers is the additional information about Down syndrome that is provided in the book. Learning the truth makes misconceptions quickly disappear.
- What exactly is Down syndrome and what causes it?
- What are some of the difficulties you've faced in raising a child with Down syndrome? What are some of the joys you've experienced with Bryan?
- How did other members of your family react when they learned that Bryan had Down syndrome?
- How have strangers reacted to Bryan?
- Have the reactions you've encountered changed over the years? If so, why do you think that is?
- How have you learned to deal with the insensitivity of others? How has Bryan learned to handle it?
- What has Bryan taught you and your wife Karen and daughter Shauna over the past 23 years?
- You and Shauna are making career choices that appear to have been influenced by Bryan. Would you tell us about those?
- How did the idea for this latest book arise?
- How is Bryan doing, and what are his goals?
ISBN: 978-1-58985-080-4, Five Star Publications, Inc.
Phone 480-940-8182 / Toll-free 866-471-0777
Publication Date: 2006